Dr. Mary Barter was an exceptional educational leader during a time when few women held the title of superintendent. The scholarship was initiated to inspire and promote more diversity for those interested in the field of educational leadership. The Dr. Mary Barter Scholarship was renamed to honor Dr. Mary Barter, the first female president of NYSCOSS.
2023 Dr. Mary Barter Scholarship
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
Warwick Valley Central School District
NYSCOSS honored Meghan McGourty, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction at Warwick Valley, with the 2023 Dr. Mary Barter Scholarship.
Meghan was selected by the Dr. Mary Barter Selection Committee based on her submitted credentials. Her superintendent David Leach wrote that “Meghan is respected by her colleagues and loved by her students for her commitment to their learning and for her ability to form strong relationships with them.” Meghan also created a “Women in Leadership” series for students in senior Leadership classes to explore contributions of female leaders throughout history who have left an indelible mark on the world. She aspires to be a superintendent to make a significant and lasting impact on the education of students. She is pursuing her Doctorate in Educational Leadership in Manhattanville College.
The scholarship was presented during the Closing Ideas Keynote on Tuesday, March 7, 2023. Special thanks to partner Student EI
for sponsoring this year's scholarship. Pictured with Meghan is Executive Director Chuck Dedrick; Kelsey Rosell, CEO from Student EI; Superintendent David Leach, Warwick Valley CSD; District Superintendent Gladys I. Cruz, Questar III BOCES and Dr. Mary Barter Scholarship Chair; and NYSCOSS President Martha K. Group, Superintendent, VVS School District.
2024 Scholarship Process
The scholarship of $2,000 is awarded annually and presented to those individuals enrolled in a graduate study program through which a Doctoral Degree and/or Certification as a School District Administrator. It is presented at our Winter Institute
The Dr. Mary Barter Scholarship Committee, composed of active superintendents, screens all applications against selection criteria and reviews credentials for selection of one candidate in January of each year. Applicants must be nominated by an active superintendent of The Council by sending a nomination form
to Deidre Hungerford. The nomination deadline is on Monday, January 2nd for the 2024 award. Candidates are then responsible for sending all required documentation and the completed application for the award by Friday, January 19, 2024.
Criteria for Selection
For details or to nominate a candidate contact:
- The scholarship was created to encourage diversity among educational leaders. Practicing school superintendents are not eligible.
- Must show promise for success as a school administrator as evidenced by the quality of the candidate’s education, experience, and references.
- Must exhibit promise for leadership as demonstrated by previous success in an administrative or supervisory role (e.g., a teacher who has demonstrated leadership activities, such as a department chairperson).
- Must display readiness to assume an administrative role in the field of education and the likelihood that the candidate will serve in the superintendency during his/ her career.
- Must be currently enrolled in a graduate study program leading to a Doctoral Degree and/or Certification as a School District Administrator.
Deidre G. Hungerford
Associate Director for Business Development
Twitter: @deehungerford28 #NYSCOSSWell