Dr. Mary Barter was an exceptional educational leader during a time when few women held the title of superintendent. The scholarship was initiated to inspire and promote more diversity for those interested in the field of educational leadership. The Dr. Mary Barter Scholarship was renamed to honor Dr. Mary Barter, the first female president of NYSCOSS.
It is awarded annually in the amount of $2,000, and presented to those individuals enrolled in a graduate study program through which the School District Administrator or Doctoral Degree may be awarded. It is presented at our Winter Institute & Lobby Day.
The Dr. Mary Barter Scholarship Committee, composed of active superintendents, screens all applications against selection criteria and reviews credentials for selection of one candidate in January of each year. Applicants must be nominated by an active superintendent of The Council by sending a nomination form
to Deidre Hungerford by Monday, January 4, 2021 for the 2021 award. Candidates are then responsible for sending all required documentation and the completed application for the award by January 18, 2021.
Criteria for Selection
- The scholarship was created to encourage diversity among educational leaders and those individuals are eligible to submit an application. Practicing school superintendents are not eligible.
- Must show promise for success as a school administrator as evidenced by the quality of the candidate’s education, experience, and references.
- Must exhibit promise for leadership as demonstrated by previous success in an administrative or supervisory role (e.g., a teacher who has demonstrated leadership activities, such as a department chairperson).
- Must display readiness to assume an administrative role in the field of education and the likelihood that the candidate will serve in the superintendency during his/ her career.
- Must be currently enrolled in a graduate study program leading to the School District Administrator or Doctoral Degree.
Special thanks to Signature Partner BBS Architects, Landscape Architects & Engineers
for their sponsorship of this generous scholarship.
For details or to nominate a candidate contact:
Deidre G. Hungerford
Associate Director for Business Development
Twitter: @deehungerford28 #NYSCOSSWell