ABOUT THE COUNCIL
Message from Dr. Robert J. Reidy, Jr.
My fifth annual letter to the members is titled, “What’s a Leader
to Do? The Time-Shifting Sand, Political Rhetoric, High Emotion.”
As part of the letter, I suggested the following in answer to the
What IS a Leader to Do?
- Always advocate for all kids all the time.
- Be that dependable, resilient rock.
- Know yourself and never lose focus of your moral purpose.
- Do not get caught up in the “thick of thin things.”
- Focus on what you can control.
- Focus on continuous improvement.
- Always strive for balance in your life.
- Never forget how important your work is.
- Always believe you can and always try to make a difference.
- Above all, always be the purveyor of hope.
Click here to read the complete annual letter.
As public school superintendents, our children, our democracy, and our future are our mission – and our responsibility.
Thank you for all you do for the children of New York State.
Robert J. Reidy, Jr.
 Fullan, Michael. Leading in a Culture of Change. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2001. Print.
 Covey, Stephen R. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. London: Simon & Schuster, 2005. Print.
 Public Education Matters! Leadership, Leverage, and Learning. Publication. Albany: New York State Council of School Superintendents, 2014. Print.